Monday, January 4, 2010

Cherish the joy of having sibling



Overheard a conversation between a kid n his Mom while I was browsing through in a shopping mall. A kid would be of 4 to 5 conversing with his Mom

Kid: Mom, why don’t I have brother? (After asking the same question for several times his Mom replied annoyingly)

Mom: I have told you not to ask such silly questions. (Her reply really shocked me!!! Is this the way you reply back to your kid on such questions!!)

Kid: But Jay (may be kid's fren) has brother. I also want brother to play with me.

Mom: having brother means you have to share your toys, clothes, chocolates everything with him…..

I left the place to make my payment done so don’t know rest but it really shocked me. Is this what young parents learn from the books on parenthood or it is the demand of time to have only a single child to live life with less burden!!! Whatever it is but the worst part was the approach of that leady towards her son’s innocent question.

“Having brother means you have to share your toys, clothes, chocolates everything with him…..” how one can define bond of sibling in such words!!!!

Rather having sibling means sharing your childhood and adulthood with your best buddy with whom you love sharing not only toys and chocolates but all your silly to serious talks, confusions, with whom you love to fight, whom you dominate at the same you love to be dominated, sibling is the one who knows your all ins and outs, who is the one somewhat understands you the most, with whom you grow up and live one of the best days of childhood, at younger age he is your buddy to play with you, in adulthood your pal to support and guide you….


Really feel glad to have my brother with whom life has been great living. Bond with him is not just possible to describe in words. Being a girl you don’t come across many boyish things in your life but that is your brother who shows you the world through his eyes. Today many things I know about sports, finance, practicality is because of my brother. Whether its F1 racing to meaning of ACE in tennis, names of WWF wrestlers, booms and dooms of stock market to pravachans on becoming practical and strong in life ,  I got to know because of my brother.

I love uttrayan because my brother is crazy for the fest and wants me to be with him to hold his ‘firki’, I love Diwali because my brother protects me when I get afraid of blasting crackers, I watch sports on TV because he answers all my sports related silly questions, I try bike riding because he balances the pulsar while I drive, he never says no to me whatever I demand to eat whether its ice-cream at late night or trying out new restaurant….

 I never realized when my younger brother became elder than me through his care, nature and act towards me.Today I feel m younger than him and he pampers my kiddies acts at the same scolds me for my mistakes. He fights with me for the TV remote at the same takes me out for the long drive too. I look up to him for advice. I  really admire his thoughts,maturity,nature,knowledge,skills oh d list is going on...I find him the supportive pillar of my life who understands me so well.

I still remember it was really a tough situation when my brother moved to another city for higher studies and after living together for 20 years, the time came when we have to live distantly. But it is just a physical distance, through phone, sms,internet and in our heart we have always been connected. Distance has not brought any coldness in our relationships.In fact now we miss each other more. I wait dates to stop at his vacations so he can come back home and we have a great family moments.

 Whether its brother-brother, sister-sister or brother-sister, Sibling gives you the joy of  saying he/she is MY brother/sister...... with full of love.
 Love this song.....

Phoolon ka taron ka sabka kehna hai…
Ek hazaro me mera BHAIYA hai…
Sari umar hame sang rehna hai….

Luv u Bhai.....:)

14 comments:

angel from heaven said...

Lovely write up on sibling love.Its good to have a brother or sister.

jigisha said...

hey...quite sensitive and sensible! loved it.

Vinayak said...

gr8 post
i agree with jigisha
it is quite sensitive and sensible

Devanshi said...

@ angel from heaven...Thanks:)yup having sibling is a great gift:)

Devanshi said...

@ Jigisha...Thanks dear...I know you too share a great bond with your bro:)

Devanshi said...

@ Vinayak...Thanks for your comment...just went through your profile n came to know u r 11 yr old n write blogs!!!!great...Really feeling great to see you exploring the world of blogging at this age..wish I would have got the chance to know about blogging at my younger age:) would like to read ur posts..good going..keep it up...

Janardhan Raju said...

Nice blog..........

Anonymous said...

got emotional while reading your post...I don't have any bro/sis so never felt the warmth of such relationship but reading your post made me emotional..your brother is lucky one to have sis like you :)

God bless

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

It's almost a shame we have to grow up - and in most cases part paths from our idealistic adolescencent endeavours of companionship with our siblings. They say 'true' love never dies, and I hope this applies to you both in a sisterly and brotherly way. No matter what distance you may encounter apart, you are both only a thought away, a concept that can be made tangible with the 'mighty' pen. I have a brother who I love dearly, and sadly I also have a brother who I love unreciprocally from afar! Such can be the life of a large family of siblings nurtured by a single parent. Thank you. Take care. Bye.

Devanshi said...

Commented by Nisarg through mail.Pasting his words here... :
Lovely!

I could simulate siblings in my best friends and cousins but you are right...having brother or sister is different feeling.

You touched very painful point related to parenting. My eyes cries when I see such examples of careless parenting. Seems like, now a days, majority children take birth by accident and not by choice and that might be one of the reasons why we have so many careless parenting examples around.

I was doing some research recently on this and facts are very scary.

It is about child development and esp. brain development of a child.

Before puberty, million of neurons are culled. They are culled as they are not required by the particular environment into which a baby is born and grows up. If an individual is deprived of certain sounds, sights, experiences, skills and ideas up until puberty then many of his potential abilities are blunted for life. The neurons that could have expressed the full potential of that individual no longer exist! (this is the case with majority new born till the age of 12 or 13.)

So what about the millions of new neurons that grow after puberty? Can't they compensate? No, because they grow in the frontal lobes of the brain. The frontal lobes are only mainly involved in supervising the rear brain. Mainly, they can only largely develop the skills that happen to have been laid down already in the rear part of the brain - social, manual, intellectual, artistic, what-have-you. Even then, if those skills have been of a low standard, then it's a laborious process - often impossible - to raise them further, no matter how hard the frontal lobes try.

So what are the frontal lobes and the millions of new neurons for? Triggered into existence by sex hormones, they're preparing the individual for the adult world. And the most important of the rear brain skills that are developed are the social skills. If the pre-pubescent child hasn't learned the full gamut of basic social skills then even the frontal lobes can't rectify the deficiencies. Correspondingly, there's a whole gamut of psychopathologies as a result, ranging from mildly neurotic individuals through to killers and megalomaniacs.

So bottom line is..if we neglect to provide a well-rounded education to our pre-pubescent population (a few hundred million in India!), we are forever dooming them to stunted intellectual growth.Our policymakers of course are blissfully ignorant of these facts and the result is faulty education system. Our accidentally became parents equally contributes and make situation worser by providing blunt answers to children. They don't understand the impacts of the same on child's brain.

In Gujarati, there are two words..શિક્ષા અને કેળવણી . Later is a job of parents and teachers and is missing throughout the society.

Imagine hopeless teenage generations for a decade....and children grown up by careless parents for same decade..... :(

You and I were probably last few lucky ones who despite of bad education system, got good environment by parents. They are God for us.

Great going sis! Say my hi to Kaushal.

-નિસર્ગ

Devanshi said...

@ Nisarg :Thanks Nisarg....seriously seems parenting in current generation is loosing its warmth. Your environment cultivates you but your parents create you...I too feel the same when see carelessness in parenting and have seen so many examples around me where parents don't know what is parenthood!!!

Great to know about your research...I really admire you for the activities and work you do...The facts of the research are really great knowing.

Devanshi said...

@ Janardan Raju : Thanks

Devanshi said...

@ WordsPoeticallyWorth : well said...quite true

aninda said...

hey very nice post ... i never experienced it soo deep being alone child ... but very nice work